(1) Dr. Rutledge will edit your text (words, phrases, sentences, punctuation, etc.) directly in Microsoft WORD. She will NOT revise any mathematical equations or formulas, but she must see all of them in their proper context. Frequently the text in tables, figures, captions, etc. requires correction, which will be done. In addition to correcting errors in grammar, syntax (word order), and diction (word choice, especially as related to formal versus informal vocabulary), Dr. Rutledge will eliminate redundancy (unnecessary repetition of words or phrases) and verbosity (more words than necessary) for the sake of conciseness of expression. The edited document will be Saved As <Edited by CJR-[a 5-digit serial number]—[Title].doc>.
(2) Dr. Rutledge’s fees will be computed by the hour (plus fractional portion, as applicable); therefore, she will notify you by E-mail concerning the amount of time required to edit the first two or three pages of your manuscript. If you want her to proceed with the remaining pages, you should promptly reply in an E-mail containing the words “Continue editing” in the Subject line. However, if you do not want her to finish, your E-mail reply should contain the words “Discontinue editing” in the Subject line. If the editing is discontinued, the edited portion will be returned only if appropriate payment is received for the work done.
For first-time clients, Dr. Rutledge will give the first 30 minutes of editing time free. Whatever portion of the manuscript is completed within that half-hour will constitute an example of the type and scope of revisions to be expected in the remainder of the document, as well as a tangible means for the (prospective) client to estimate the total editing time. Please do not ask Dr. Rutledge to “estimate the total editing time,” for this task will be the responsibility of the applicant.
(3) If Dr. Rutledge has questions concerning what you are trying to express in any portion of your report, she will inquire by E-mail. Typically, she will offer at least two options for revision of an unclear or ambiguous passage. Such communication will be considered as “consultation(s)”; therefore, the time spent in composing such inquiry will be added to the actual editing time.
(4) When the editing process has been completed, Dr. Rutledge will promptly notify you by E-mail concerning the amount due in US Dollars. You must then make your payment by PayPal. (Note: If you do not have a PayPal account, you can use a major credit card to pay PayPal.) When your payment (or a confirmation thereof) has been received, the revised manuscript will be returned to you by E-mail attachment.
(5) If, after careful reading of the corrected manuscript, you conclude that any brief portion of the revision does not express your intended meaning (but instead misrepresents), Dr. Rutledge will revise that passage at no extra charge, in consultation with you.